During the COVID-19 pandemic, classes will be in a hybrid, online and face-to-face format.
Community Health Worker Certification Program: Developing Community Health Workers who excel in coordinating the care of those most at risk for poor health.
HCAN offers programs throughout the year. Sessions are scheduled three times a year, Mondays and Fridays from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m.
- CANCELLED: August 31-November 20
- Spring 2021: January 4 – March 26
- Summer 2021: May 3 – July 23
- Fall 2021: August 30 – November 19
Program Application: Online Application – Community Health Worker Certification Program
Fee and Tuition: Application Fee and Tuition Payment
How do you become a Certified Community Health Worker?
Health Care Access Now delivers an approved training program and is a leader in developing Community Health Workers in Cincinnati. Our 12 and 14 week training programs will give you the skills you need to provide community based Care Coordination to those most at risk for poor health outcomes. View or download the Program Brochure.
What is community based Care Coordination?
Training and Certification
The Community Health Worker Certification Program includes 100 hours of classroom training that addresses the core competencies in health, knowledge of social service resources, communication skills, advocacy, CPR certification, lifespan development and basic community health worker skills. The in-class portion of the program will be held on consecutive Mondays and Fridays, 9 a.m. – 5 p.m. at our 2602 Victory Parkway location. Full attendance is required for all in-class coursework.
Students must also complete 130 hours of a community-based practicum as required by the Ohio Board of Nursing for state certification. Health Care Access Now assists students to identify and complete the required community-based practicum with local hospitals, health care providers and nonprofit organizations.
Upon completion of the classroom training and community-based practicum, students are qualified to apply to the Ohio Board of Nursing for a certificate to practice as a Certified Community Health Worker.
To become certified in Ohio you must attend an approved training program, submit an online application to Ohio Board of Nursing, and meet all requirements to obtain a certificate.
- A resident of Ohio
- $250 non-refundable application fee
- Completed physical and updated immunization, including TB testing
- A copy of a high school diploma or GED documentation
- A copy of the applicant’s government-issued photo identification to verify 18 years of age
- A 75 percent competency level in each skill evaluation
- Acceptable BCI (civilian) and FBI (federal) criminal records check, before participating in the community-based practicum (not included in the cost of tuition)
- See Program Administrator
Non-refundable application fee of $250. Full program tuition is $3,100 and covers all textbooks, materials and professional networking.
If you are currently employed in the health care industry, please check with your employer to see if there is any assistance with some or all the cost of tuition.
Those who do not receive tuition assistance from their employer may be eligible for Workforce Innovation and Opportunity Act (WIOA) funds through the Ohio Department of Jobs and Family Services. Download the tuition assistance application here. Fax or email the completed application to (513) 245-4347 or firstname.lastname@example.org. You must also complete the online program application.
Ohioans who meet these criteria may qualify for the WIOA funds:
- Adults over the age of 18, who are eligible to work in the United States of America and, if applicable, registered for Selective Service.
- Dislocated Workers who have lost their job through no fault of their own.
- Youth aged 14-24 with special conditions including low-income, pregnant or a parent.
There are limited scholarships available for the Community Health Worker Certification Program.
Contribute to the HCAN CHW Certification Training Program Scholarship Fund:
To learn more about the Community Health Worker Certification Program please contact Health Care Access Now at 513-707-5696 or email@example.com.